This time I thought I'd show some process all the way through to the final product. If you're just tuning in, these are for an internationally themed pin-up card deck I'm producing with Josh Cooley.
These are some of my first thumbnails, not all of the pieces started out this way but it definitely got the ball rolling.
You can see a few of the early ideas for the Egypt card above but I later settled on Cleopatra. As you can see by the roughs below I did some exploration before I found a pose I liked. I knew I wanted to have Cleopatra swooning over a photo of Marc Antony, but how exactly took a little trial and error.
Ultimately I decided with this version since it seemed the most queenly.
The composition wasn't quite working right with the way the corner suits were falling so I flopped the image when I inked it.
And the final card with color.
Here's the same process again with the Vietnam card.
When I inked this one I separated the foreground elements from the background. Just for ease of inking mostly, but it came in handy when I was coloring too.
And the final colored composited card.
The deck will be available to buy at the San Diego Comic-con in July, then shortly thereafter will be available for purchase here on the blog.